Hottest web design trends for 2014
With Christmas just around the corner and New Year hot on its tail, as 2013 rapidly draws to a close it is time to start thinking about what 2014 has in store for the world of web design. Here at bond we are always ahead of the game!
Here are our top five trends to look out for:
- Flat Design – This is tipped to be the hottest trend of 2014. Yes, that is right the 2D effect is making its comeback. We are talking simple interface, little or no gradients, no shadows, solid block colours. It is all about simplicity, and simplicity is key! To see examples of the flat design trend being sported already then take a look at ios7 or Windows 8. This approach to digital design interface will be a success for a number of reasons we believe. Firstly speed! Using the minimal approach means sites will be less graphic heavy and mainly created through CSS making pages load so much faster. With the right colour palette being used call to action banners and buttons will be more a focal point on a page driving users to where you want them to go. Also using this method for design makes creating a responsive site for all devices so much more efficient!
- Single Page Websites – Less is more when it comes to this trend, well in terms of pages anyway! Instead of having multiple page websites all the content and images appear on one page and all that the user does is scroll through the content without having to jump from one page to the next. Single page websites are often used in conjunction with parallax scrolling to give it that extra touch. For more information on parallax scrolling read our blog here. This will be a great trend for 2014 but we feel the use should be kept to specific marketing campaigns or for micro-sites. If you want your site to succeed in natural search engine results you obviously need more content and pages so this is not for you.
- Responsive Design –We have been talking about the importance of having an optimised website for a very long time. This is one of the hottest trends of 2013 and will cement its status in terms of importance in 2014. With more and more people surfing the web from their mobile devices this is definitely one trend to know about. We have said it before (here) and we will say it again now, it is time to get optimising people!
- Typography – 2014 will be the year for mixing it up when it comes to typography. With so many more web fonts to choose from these days as well as typefaces, this will be major player in the design trends in the coming year.
- Interactive Infographics – we love a good infographic! And 2014 is all about taking the infographic to the next level. What better way to get your point across and engage your audience at the same time. Have a look at this example we produced http://www.buyfireworks.co/
Want to be ahead of the trends? Give us a call on 020 8886 4890 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help your website be 2014 trend ready.